Thursday, November 30, 2006

Well guys, you are in for a treat :) We have prepared a very long pictorial journal of our day.
Yesterday during class we could hear the rain falling on the metal roof of FSM. It was a wonderful sound. We emerged from class into a world transformed by freezing rain! All the branches of the trees were white and glistening. People were running around scraping windshields and the general excitement of the "first winter precipitation" seemed to give everybody the same little kid feeling of glee. I didn't make it out to piano - some people were having trouble getting up our hills and I didn't want to risk it. (I had to call mom to let her know the roads were "treacherous!" hahah...ah mommy.) I went walking last night, out into the blustery slidey streets, to walk up to Hannahs. We built a fire and I crocheted and we had a lovely visit. It's so nice to have neighbors in winter weather.





Today class as cancelled, so we ventured out in search of appropriate winter gear. We got a shovel and a windshield scraper, (no more cd case for us!) We (praise God!) found an awesome sale at Kohls (usually pretty pricey) and got slippers for me (Kristianna), gloves for both of us, two big mugs, and the winter boots I've been looking everywhere for. We went to the check out and to our amazement we saw that a blustery snow storm had started up while we were inside! I don't know why but I'm just thrilled by the snow...I don't think I've seen winter weather like this in over ten years! I guess it makes us feel like kids again...we're going to have to find a sled :) I was happy all day and generally bounding around shouting, "It's snowing!" John seemed amused by this...ah well. As we drove home we encountered the following...the traffice was so slow...and our road, lucky we knew where to look for it! The snow seemed to be piling up fast. They said we might get about 2 1/2 inches. (And not a "north carolina" 2 1/2, which really equals about 1/2 :)








When we got home John went out in the backyard and ran around with the dogs, who evidently love the snow. (They intermittantly begged to go out all night long...could barely keep them inside!) We laughed ourselves sick at Brae sliding everwhere and running in psychotic circles and Delanie repeatedly flipping over and becoming a snow filled ball of fluff! The neighbor dog, Nyla (owned by fellow IHOPPers) even got in on the fun.







Hannah and Mike, Mikey and Sarah Dell all popped by with a sled - though it was too dark and blustery to use it - and stayed for dinner and game night. We had a great time playing Cranium, though the boys beat the girls both rounds by just a hair. (Ah well, better luck next time.) Mikey had fun on gamenight, too. He played uno-upwards. (Well, until he stuck two letters in his mouth and had to have the words taken away!)






After getting bundled up, John drove the Dells home, since it had started snowing again and we have about SIX INCHES! WAHOO! All of our morning stuff is cancelled for tomorrow...and I think we'll be sledding on Saturday!
It was lovely dark and glowy as the Dells went down the walk...the world all white and boots making that wonderful crunchy noise in the snow...ah. What a grand first day of real winter. Makes me want to go caroling and curl up in front of a stove and drink hot apple cider...





Hope you guys enjoyed our day as much as we did!

Love,
John and Kristianna

6 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Look at all the snoo! Lovely, wonderful snoo. I wonder if you will have a white Christmas?

More love from NC :) Miss you guys. Our little family blog is finally up and running, so greetings!

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger heartlikeaglass said...

yay for snow! i actually miss it this year, for once...

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Eleazar said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Eleazar said...

Oh man......That's awesome. I was literally jumping up and down yelling "Snow!" when I read this. Now I AM a little envious.

The only down side is the Xterra won't fit inside.
:-(

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger /es/\e said...

loving that your loving the snow =) love it some more for me.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger erin said...

hey, kristi.
so, i don't have your email address, so i'm using this.
i was wondering... do you have floor space for a certain mandy russel and i during onething? i just need a itty bitty portion of floor. i could even stand up if needed. and i think mandy might just need access to a bathroom in case there's need in the middle of the night. anyway, let me know. having almost (God is so providing, even today. awesome :o)no money at this point, a bit o'floor would be a great blessing.
let me know.
erin
eygubitz@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home